Welcome to the 2018 HEP Adopt a Family Christmas Program! Adopt a Family gives individuals, groups and businesses the opportunity to help homeless families residing at HEP by providing new items for the holidays, including clothing, toys, home goods and more. Thank you for helping to brighten the holidays for families in need. Please see a few frequently asked questions about the program below.
How does Adopt a Family work?
- HEP gathers a “wish list” from families residing at HEP of holiday needs & wishes, and matches them with a donor in the community.
- The donor purchases gifts for their designated family, based on the wish list, and delivers the new, unwrapped gifts to HEP a few weeks before Christmas to be distributed. This is all done anonymously, to protect the privacy of the donor and HEP client.
How many families are in need of assistance this year?
HEP has about 30 families available for adoption this year. There are also several other ways to get involved this holiday season- please see list below.
Additional giving opportunities include:
- Make a monetary donation for a child, family or Veteran living in the shelter.
- A $40 donation will provide a child with food and a safe warm place to lay her head for the night.
- A $75 donation will provide a family of 4 with food and a safe night in the shelter.
- A $140 donation will provide a Veteran with one week of housing, food and support services.
- A $525 donation will provide family of 4 with food and a safe week in the shelter.
- Sponsor a “giving tree” to collect toys, clothing, shoes or gift cards. *A full list of items is available upon request.*
- Donate gift cards ($20 – $50 value) to Walmart, Target or Publix.
- Donate new home items: linens, pillows, towels, pots and pans, dishes, etc.
- Donate miscellaneous children and teen gifts: “LOL” brand toys, Lego sets, “Hot Wheels” cars, “Hatchimals” brand toys, art sets, sports balls, board games, scooters, skateboards, jewelry, wallets, cologne/perfume, etc. These gifts will be distributed year-round for children’s birthdays. *A full list of popular gifts is available upon request.*
- Donate non-perishable food items. *A full list of needed food is available upon request.
How much should I spend on my adopted family?
A good guideline for gifts is approx. $100-$200 per family member, or $400-$800 for a family of four. In order to make the holidays extra special for our families, all items must be in new condition in original packaging.
When do the gifts need to be delivered?
Please deliver all gifts to the HEP Education Center (located inside the HEP Dental & Wellness Clinic) from Monday, Dec. 10th – Friday, Dec. 14th from 9am to 4:30pm. Please contact Liz to organize your delivery date & time.
1120 N. Betty Ln., Clearwater, FL 33755 | 727.442.9041 | www.HEPempowers.org